Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel

Super Dollfie Care Tips?

Gabriel

Nah. Ranka is not guilty this time. It's all on me for this one.

The new girl is an SD16. I can tell she needs to be restrung, but she'll be all right as long as she's on a stand.

Beyond that, I'm even more ignorant than when my first DD arrived. As of right now I'm not sure if I need to take any preventative measures as I would with a DD.

Cauldroness

Keep her out of light, especially direct sunlight. I keep most of my resin girls in their boxes when I'm not taking photographs. It won't stop the yellowing process, but it'll slow it down quite a bit.

Don't let them fall, and don't ever stop them. Attempt free standing at your own risk. Invest in a good, sturdy stand (an SD16 is a LOT heavier than a DD and a stand that works for a DD may not work for resin).

Be careful with their faces; their face-ups tend to get damaged more easily than DD face-ups.

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

BeyondTime

The new girl is an SD16. I can tell she needs to be restrung, but she'll be all right as long as she's on a stand.

I haven't fully restrung an SD, but I have taken them apart to the necessary degree to body blush then. If you do try to restring her yourself I highly suggest getting the stringing tools Volks sells. I got mine re-assembled using a hook eye and needle nose pliers to pull the elastic, but I will never do it that way again.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

IpLemons

11 year veteran of resin here. To restring, you need a stringing tool or an old wire coat hanger (I cut off the bottom part with wire cutters and fold it in half for a diy version). You'll need new string too for her too, I wouldn't just indiscriminately buy any cheap elastic string online because I've had some I've gotten where it's SLIPPERY and doesn't knot properly. Stringing can be a pain in the butt and you feel like your doll will break but resin is really strong so don't worry. Look at a few tutorials too.

other tip: make it a bit longer than you think you need because you can always "reknot" it. If you can, get a hemostat because it can "lock" it in place while you're working. If you have a doctor friend they can get you a kit for free (they open all fresh tools for each time someone needs suturing).

More about resin:

They don't stain as easily as vinyl. They're much heavier too, hot glue sueding or KIPS go a LONG WAY in terms of posing, they are easier to mod per-say if you like that. You can "sand/buff out" scratches in resin easier. Removing seams is a bit harder as is carving its another skill set if you want to mod resin go slowly in small layers. I prefer doing faceups on resin over vinyl personally.

Also congrats you now will become addicted to resin!!!

milkytea

IpLemons has a lot of great tips! ♥ If you have other questions once your new doll is home, I'm sure there are plenty of us to offer advice. I hope you enjoy owning a resin ball-jointed doll! It's a different experience than vinyl Dollfie Dreams and their ilk, but I think it's a lot of fun!

I will add that, besides the delicacy of their faceups, which Cauldroness mentioned (avoid touching it with your fingers if you can, the oils from our skin is not good for sealant and such), be mindful of their hands. Vinyl hands are hardy, but resin fingers are delicate. It's one of the easiest things to snap off if the doll falls or isn't well-protected during transit. Thankfully it's not too hard to glue them back on if it does happen.