Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

MoiBakaDesu

Mermaid Chuchu Blind Box BJD

MoiBakaDesu

I thought these cute little mermaids deserve their own topic!

I got myself three of these blind boxes, although admittedly only because I was hoping to get one if the colors that I can use for one of my boys (I did end up getting one I was hoping for at least), but I'm also keeping one because they are just so cute ...

The quality is very good for their low price (only 20USD directly on KikaGoods), the translucent effexts of the hair and tail is very nice and they even have a bit of body blushing!

(That being said, I have the pink one up for grabs, if anyone is interest hmu in DMs.)

mermaid1.JPG.e1dde5a530dc6981991032bd039d1124.JPGmermaid2.JPG.6e59e36833d5c39a30dab55b82d1dd61.JPGmermaid3.JPG.2c52080bd5882c09da2083a8838e333a.JPGmermaid4.JPG.07f90f6a606ba18379ec8e419ee5c9e7.JPG

• Like 3

Tam_I_am

I've seen these on YouTube.  They're really beautifully coloured and sculpted, but I don't like the tail joints that make them look like humans in costume.

Kissamaagi

I've been eyeing these cuties for a while, so far been able to resist... There's so many cute blind box dolls recently.

How do you display yours? The mermaid tail feels like it can make it quite difficult, though they look cute sitting or laying down. It would be fun to make them look floating with a stand.

Edited by Kissamaagi
  • Like 1

MoiBakaDesu
3 hours ago, Kissamaagi said:

I've been eyeing these cuties for a while, so far been able to resist... There's so many cute blind box dolls recently.

How do you display yours? The mermaid tail feels like it can make it quite difficult, though they look cute sitting or laying down. It would be fun to make them look floating with a stand.

Although the head is a bit heavy and it makes them feel a bit wobbly they do hold sitting and lying poses pretty well after a bit of balancing.

I think KikaGoods also has stands for 1/12 scale dolls in their shop, so I can imagine that could work well for more floaty poses. I also do want to give my boy that I made a hybrid something nice to sit on, similar to the seashell from the product pictures.

• Like 1

Riesz

They're really cute! I just want to mention though that Kikagoods is simply a Taobao reseller and they mark the prices up significantly. I'd recommend searching around Taobao for the real makers of these dolls and ordering direct if you're able. There are loads of these adorable dolls on Taobao. 🥰

MoiBakaDesu
15 hours ago, Riesz said:

They're really cute! I just want to mention though that Kikagoods is simply a Taobao reseller and they mark the prices up significantly. I'd recommend searching around Taobao for the real makers of these dolls and ordering direct if you're able. There are loads of these adorable dolls on Taobao. 🥰

Oh, that's good to know! It never crossed my mind that KikaGoods could be one of the ususal resellers, because the prices already felt pretty low to me. I'll keep my eyes open on taobao first in the future then.

Beani

These blind box trends are interesting, I was sure this was probably Penny's Box like the Centaur girls I have. They do actually make Mermaids now but they look entirely different. I guess some manufacturer figured out how to do these cheaply and now everyone is making their own variants..

image.png.a11b2a51005126c00021176ebe423d1c.png

image.png.f8f1fd3c52bb48f5ecacf4866c03635e.png

image.png.628a523fa249041c9eac29109a5736cb.png

image.png.c75565f463766fa45e7354b07d6a02ff.png

Edited by Beani
  • Like 2

Riesz

Yeah it really irritates me that Kikagoods and other Taobao resellers just blatantly steal the product images from the original shops and slap their reseller logo on them, seems very misleading to me. I've seen Kikagoods posted around Reddit doll communites as well and it seems like most people don't realise they are a reseller doing price gouging vs the original Taobao shops.

I love the Penny's Box dolls! I was really tempted by both the centaurs and the mermaids but ultimately haven't caved yet. The pink haired mermaid with the light blue dress is soooo cute though omg I'm very very tempted by her.

I actually just ordered a few blind box dolls from UFdoll on Taobao. They have a new series that are sooo cute, so I ordered a set of 3 blind boxes to finally check these dolls out. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the brown bunny, pink-purple ombre bunny, and the purple and black bunny although tbh I love them all so I'll be happy no matter what.

osdtitlvlfsb1.jpg.4649f8b4c7e4da866ebc3a90fde946e7.jpg

Edited by Riesz
  • Like 5

Tam_I_am

I bought one of the fruit school series, but I don't remember where I got her from.  There might've been a seller on Etsy.  She looks shocked beyond belief, but is cute.  I just wish she'd come with underwear.

The reason I object to the Mermaid Chuchu lower joints is because mermaid fish parts are supposed to be tails.  The little fins by their hips are their legs, technically.  

One other thing I wish about these little blind box dolls.  The sculpted hair looks really cute, but it makes them very top heavy.  I wish more companies would make soft vinyl molded hair like the zodiac series blind box dolls have.  Plus, the soft vinyl seems to give the ability to make more elaborate hair styles.

MoiBakaDesu
11 hours ago, Riesz said:

Yeah it really irritates me that Kikagoods and other Taobao resellers just blatantly steal the product images from the original shops and slap their reseller logo on them, seems very misleading to me. I've seen Kikagoods posted around Reddit doll communites as well and it seems like most people don't realise they are a reseller doing price gouging vs the original Taobao shops.

I can sort of understand it from the side of the resellers, they do have to make a profit somehow after all. And at least in my eyes KikaGoods seems to be one of the "better" resellers, the reason I originally assumed that they are legit just a shop with good ties to these various dollmakers are their relatively good prices and their good presentation and promotion (like little presentation videos, giveaways and whatnot). And for some people who don't want to or can't deal with taobao and proxy services it might still be a good. I usually also only shop via taobao and avoid resellers (esp the big and famous ones like Jane's doll land), because with a lot of them being US based I's easily pay three times the original price or more getting it to Europe, haha.

21 hours ago, Beani said:

These blind box trends are interesting, I was sure this was probably Penny's Box like the Centaur girls I have. They do actually make Mermaids now but they look entirely different. I guess some manufacturer figured out how to do these cheaply and now everyone is making their own variants..

image.png.a11b2a51005126c00021176ebe423d1c.png

image.png.f8f1fd3c52bb48f5ecacf4866c03635e.png

image.png.628a523fa249041c9eac29109a5736cb.png

image.png.c75565f463766fa45e7354b07d6a02ff.png

These are also cute, I have been keeping an eye on them as well. I think they actually got released a little bit after the Chuchu ones, or almost at the same time, so I'd say it's a fun coincidence. Now that I found out that I can get them cheaper and also don't have to rely on the luck of blind boxes I might get the red and blue one for hybrid options. The Chuchu ones are a little bit less feminine in body build, so I went with these first. (But can't have enough 1/12 scale dolls with how easy they are to strore, am I right?)

Zai

I wanted a little mermaid to keep me company, and couldn’t decide between the Chuchu and Penny’s Box ones so I ordered one blind box of each. Got both the red heads, haha. My personal favourite of the two I received are the Penny’s Box one, especially as my Chuchu girl tends to sorted fall apart every time I move/touch her (particularly her braids, but others in the series might not have this concern) plus the overall articulation seems better plus you get the bonus hands and clothes for a similar price point. Although KikaGoods assured us that the Penny’s Box mermaids could stand on their own and they can… for about an hour until I hear her thunking down onto my desk. Now she’s living in an empty martini glass since she can’t even sit up. 😅

Both are beautiful though, and I’m glad to have them! I think they’re great value. 

Edited by Zai
Typo that was annoying me, lol.
  • Like 2

Vinyl friends: Stoli (DD Y’shtola), Raili, Yuzuha and Minami-senpai (Azone PureNeemo).
Future friends: DD Alisaie, TinyFox Huifre, DD Luka (hopefully a reboot?), and a DD Icon (wishful thinking, lol).

🩶 Instagram 🩶

RozenGermain
On 1/31/2024 at 3:24 PM, Riesz said:

I love the Penny's Box dolls! I was really tempted by both the centaurs and the mermaids but ultimately haven't caved yet. The pink haired mermaid with the light blue dress is soooo cute though omg I'm very very tempted by her.

I actually just ordered a few blind box dolls from UFdoll on Taobao. They have a new series that are sooo cute, so I ordered a set of 3 blind boxes to finally check these dolls out. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the brown bunny, pink-purple ombre bunny, and the purple and black bunny although tbh I love them all so I'll be happy no matter what.

osdtitlvlfsb1.jpg.4649f8b4c7e4da866ebc3a90fde946e7.jpg

Good luck on that! The brown one happens to be my favorite! Hope you get him!

fingerfloss
On 2/22/2024 at 12:38 AM, Zai said:

I wanted a little mermaid to keep me company, and couldn’t decide between the Chuchu and Penny’s Box ones so I ordered one blind box of each. Got both the red heads, haha. My personal favourite of the two I received are the Penny’s Box one, especially as my Chuchu girl tends to sorted fall apart every time I move/touch her (particularly her braids, but others in the series might not have this concern) plus the overall articulation seems better plus you get the bonus hands and clothes for a similar price point. Although KikaGoods assured us that the Penny’s Box mermaids could stand on their own and they can… for about an hour until I hear her thunking down onto my desk. Now she’s living in an empty martini glass since she can’t even sit up. 😅

Both are beautiful though, and I’m glad to have them! I think they’re great value. 

I know this is late, but putting poster putty in the hair of my non-chuchu blind box dolls has stopped their heads from always wanting to fall apart. 😌

• Thanks 1

MoiBakaDesu

I still haven't gotten around to take proper pictures of my two hybrid boys, I want to make them a little fish bowl showcase with fake plants and various other things, but I wanted to at least show them sitting here.

Sadly the Chuchu body is quite pink in skin tone and not a perfect match to any GSC colors it seems, but I can live with it.

20240316_124010.jpg.ba3aeb06d1e8d2149e4b068c27d50bf4.jpg

• Haha 2