Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

AveragePigeon

Additive Modifications on Face?

AveragePigeon

I've had my eye on this head that is SUPER cheap online but it's in horrible condition. The nose has been extremely sanded down (to the point where it's nearly flat, but it's hard to see the extent of the damage due to the heavy paint on the face) and I would like to repair it but as someone who has a lot more experience in resin, I would have NO idea if this was even possible or how it would work. The head has, as I mentioned earlier, super heavy paint (that is cracked and peeling (and probably unevenly yellowed). The head is in VERY bad shape, I'm getting it as a project doll if the repair on the nose seems possible, but I just have no idea if these kind of repairs would work ok with vinyl? I just would like advice on if pretty much fully reconstructing the nose would be possible. If so, what materials would be used (in terms of what clay/epoxy/what else would work) and has anyone else ever done anything like this? I'm aware it's very bad shape (and I feel I need to emphasize this because of just HOW bad the situation is) but I'm mostly concerned about the nose. Thanks so much!

695706250_sideview.jpg.a2c330f808e8a890d23e71c350dc0854.jpg

ragnamuffin

Most Japanese faceup artists dissolve scrap pieces of vinyl in a softening solution and use that for additive mods. There’s also a shop on Booth that sells UV resin in Dollfie skin tones, so in any case it should be possible to reconstruct her nose, but… I’m not sure it’s worth it in this case. Option DDH heads are like $50 new, even less if you go with Obitsu. Fixing this head seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

• Like 2

AveragePigeon
1 hour ago, ragnamuffin said:

Most Japanese faceup artists dissolve scrap pieces of vinyl in a softening solution and use that for additive mods. There’s also a shop on Booth that sells UV resin in Dollfie skin tones, so in any case it should be possible to reconstruct her nose, but… I’m not sure it’s worth it in this case. Option DDH heads are like $50 new, even less if you go with Obitsu. Fixing this head seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

Oh that is fascinating! I wanted a project doll haha (curse my desire to fix VERY damaged dolls) and I liked the mods that were done to the eyes :) I hadn't ever heard of the vinyl additions, all my research was turning up with milliput or something similar. Is there a tutorial anywhere for the vinyl method? Thanks so much!

ragnamuffin

The original blog post was deleted, but you can find an archive link down the thread:

AveragePigeon
7 minutes ago, ragnamuffin said:

The original blog post was deleted, but you can find an archive link down the thread:

Thank you so much! I don't really have any spare vinyl parts, do you think using milliput would work ok? Or what works the best in general with this sort of larger face mod? My plan had been to do milliput and then paint over it and do the faceup like normal but I'm unsure how well that would work (given well, how bad her face is already lol).

ragnamuffin

I’m not sure since I’ve never done it myself, but @Subaru (the author of that post) might know?

AveragePigeon
Just now, ragnamuffin said:

I’m not sure since I’ve never done it myself, but @Subaru (the author of that post) might know?

Thank you so so much for all your help!! I appreciate it a lot :)

• Like 1