Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

PlasticJester

Just A Limited Head?

PlasticJester

I'm curious how people have acquired just a collab/limited head in the past. I assume through sites like YJ!A, Mandarake, and Ebay. But I'm also curious, if you have one, what you've done with it! Have you tried to piecemeal assemble a limited doll, or wiped the head for use for your own thing? I'm obsessed with Gremlinbondd's Miku made using a Kizuna AI head, for example.

592108676_DollGroupPixel.png.059a2d02f02ccb8975d8c8461ef7b1cc.png

Xiongmao

I bought a MDD Frieren head from a FB Group. I haven't really done too much with her yet.

YJA is awash with custom heads although they seem to be mostly semi-white MDD.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

PlasticJester

I wish I could join FB groups, but I made a FB profile and got it immediately banned for "identity issues" before I could even do anything on it.

I've seen custom heads, but I'm specifically interested in what people do with/where they buy collaboration heads and other limited heads!

Thespian

I owned a Makoto Kikuchi head for some time! I bought her with a custom faceup from x3Ashley here on the forum. I intended to turn her into my own sort of OC, but it never worked out to where I could buy a body for her. I moved her on back in 2021 to someone who wanted her for a custom project, too.

Kiyomi DDS DDH-06 🧡 Miyuki DDS DDH-06 🧡 Shiori DDS Mariko Summer Festival 🧡 Kanade DDDy DDH-07 🧡 Honoka DD DDH-09 🧡 Unnamed DDS Anthy Himemiya

Any pronouns are fine

fingerfloss

I just bought an Akira head on Mercari jp! Limited heads come up all the time on the big Japanese secondhand sites, but if there's a specific sculpt you have in mind you might need to be patient. 

There are also tons on Xianyu (a Chinese app, you can use it via the proxy superbuy). I haven't bought from it before but it's really fun to browse. 😊

Are there any heads you're looking for in particular? I can let you know if I've seen any listings for them! 💕

Gabriel
On 5/28/2024 at 3:28 PM, PlasticJester said:

I'm curious how people have acquired just a collab/limited head in the past. I assume through sites like YJ!A, Mandarake, and Ebay. But I'm also curious, if you have one, what you've done with it! Have you tried to piecemeal assemble a limited doll, or wiped the head for use for your own thing? I'm obsessed with Gremlinbondd's Miku made using a Kizuna AI head, for example.

That's how I built Cynthia.  I think I purchased the DDH-07 Volks prepaint from someone on the previous version of this forum or maybe it was ebay.  Then I paired it with some custom eyes supposed to be those of Nekopara's Vanilla and then got her a DD-Dy body.  She went through a few wigs, several not very good, until I settled on the red and black one that seemed to suit her, and POOF that all clicked to be the doll I call Cynthia.

I also went the hard way of getting my old Ranka Lee.  This was in the time before both the Macross Frontier girls were re-released.  I couldn't afford a fullset Ranka because those were selling for over $1000 USD at the time, so I instead just bought a part at a time.  I got her head, then I got her outfit.  I got her wigs.  Somehow I even got her elusive ring (although currently can't find it and desperately hope I still have it).  I think I may have had to hunt down her eyes, although I don't recall.  I even somehow managed to get her little brochure.  I ended up getting everything piece by piece except for her box.  

Marion is another one.  I acquired a KOS-MOS head from someone on the previous version of this forum.  I paired it with a semi-white DD3 body I got from Volks, and discovered that either age or Volks drifting skin shades over time caused them not to match.  I don't have anything else from the full KOS-MOS set other than the head and the eyes...  Or, I think I have the other set of eyes.

PlasticJester
51 minutes ago, fingerfloss said:

I just bought an Akira head on Mercari jp! Limited heads come up all the time on the big Japanese secondhand sites, but if there's a specific sculpt you have in mind you might need to be patient. 

There are also tons on Xianyu (a Chinese app, you can use it via the proxy superbuy). I haven't bought from it before but it's really fun to browse. 😊

Are there any heads you're looking for in particular? I can let you know if I've seen any listings for them! 💕

Oh, I wanna use Xianyu so much >o< unfortunately, I'm a partner on my mother's bank account, and she is extremely adamant that using my passport to verify myself on Alipay is a stupid idea that will get our identities stolen, all of our money stolen, and multiple bank accounts to be opened in our names. So I've had to hold off on it until I can find her some research from "a site like Clark Howard's" that it's ok.

I'm not particularly looking for any heads, I just find the idea of buying one exciting. Most of the ones I've seen floating around are either the price of a doll on their own or some of the really old Dollfie molds, so I like knowing what people have gotten out there!

• Like 1

fingerfloss
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, PlasticJester said:

Oh, I wanna use Xianyu so much >o< unfortunately, I'm a partner on my mother's bank account, and she is extremely adamant that using my passport to verify myself on Alipay is a stupid idea that will get our identities stolen, all of our money stolen, and multiple bank accounts to be opened in our names. So I've had to hold off on it until I can find her some research from "a site like Clark Howard's" that it's ok.

I'm not particularly looking for any heads, I just find the idea of buying one exciting. Most of the ones I've seen floating around are either the price of a doll on their own or some of the really old Dollfie molds, so I like knowing what people have gotten out there!

I've been able to browse the Xianyu app without an account! I have no idea why since Taobao never works for me. If you grab a screenshot with the seller's username + the title of the listing, superbuy can purchase on your behalf. I came really close to getting something earlier this month before impulse buying Akira instead haha.

Edited by fingerfloss
  • Thanks 1

MoiBakaDesu
15 hours ago, fingerfloss said:

I've been able to browse the Xianyu app without an account! I have no idea why since Taobao never works for me. If you grab a screenshot with the seller's username + the title of the listing, superbuy can purchase on your behalf. I came really close to getting something earlier this month before impulse buying Akira instead haha.

Oh, that is VERY handy to know, I would have never thought it could be that easy ... I only ever bought from Xianyu once, with a doll-proxy I trust as the middle-person, but that makes things a lot easier.

• Like 1

DivinitaAria

I recently got a Rise Kujikawa head from YJA! I browse sites like Mandarake, YJA, Jungle, etc daily for Rise heads or full sets that are a reasonable price and recently one popped up. She is so yellow though, even more yellow than my oldest girl Mikuru but was a good price so ah well 😵💫. With that said, I’ve been wanting a second Rise with the default face up so she can be dressed full time as the character herself but now she’s turning into my catch all Persona girl 😆

Rise - Rise // Rise #2 - Rise // Ritsuko - 2B // Momo - M.O.M.O. // Nayuki -Mikuru // Romi - 09 // Makoto - Sailor Jupiter // Mikasa - DD07 (WIP)
Waiting on: DDH-25 for custom Akechi 🥰

Calyps0Kitt3n

Ahh I love a good floating head. I myself usually get heads with the hope of piecing together a fullset, at least that is what I have done in the past. Got my Kagamine Len's head from Mandarake last year. Decided that I actually did want him after the preorders for the reboots closed. Found his default set on Mercari JP soon after. I just use Kaito's body whenever I do decide to have him around. Plan to get him a standard DDS body so I won't have to juggle between him and Kaito in the future.

Similar story for my Standard Miku too. Got her floating head and her first release outfit off of Mercari. Just switch between heads on my Snow Miku's body, depends on which head fits her current outfit nicer! I also found another Snow Miku head on YJA! and put together a custom with her. Wiped her face, and she is my Sakura Miku for now. Just aquired an official Sakura tho, so I'm not sure I'll need my custom anymore. Might wipe her again and send her off to a faceup artist, just gotta wait for their slots to open again. But that just gives me time to decide what I want! Maybe a Neru, or a Teto? Decisions, decisions. Or I'll just sell her lol, 4 Mikus might be a biiit much.

Still waiting for the chance to get a Luka head though. Think its more likely that she will get rebooted than that happening.

On 6/3/2024 at 12:48 PM, DivinitaAria said:

I recently got a Rise Kujikawa head from YJA!

I'm jealous!! She is so lovely, one of my grails - and I know nothing about Persona! Her head is to die for, that nose and those lips are just <3

• Like 2