Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMonicaDollphotos

Hair straightener for doll wigs

OnlyMonicaDollphotos

There are many wigs out there, some of which you buy but you no longer like at some point and so you might prefer to have the curls straight. Do you use a hair straightener for this? I once saw that there were mini hair straighteners and people used them to work on dolls' hair. Do you know where you can buy these little ones or what company they are from? I don't trust electrical items from Ali-Express because they may not be as tested as they are here in Germany. All electrical devices must have a special test seal.

ragnamuffin
Posted (edited)

The wig fibers have to be heat resistant or they’ll melt. If they’re heat resistant, a custom wig maker told me the ideal temperature is between 120-140C for doll wigs. You can use a straightener for human hair as long as you can adjust the temperature, but if you want a smaller one you should check to see if they sell little ones for bangs/fringe in Germany (they sell these in Japan and probably most of Asia).

Edited by ragnamuffin

DivinitaAria
Posted (edited)

Do you have access to a handheld garment steamer? I like this option best for straightening heat resistant cosplay wigs. I’ve straightened a Leekeworld wig with the boiling water method once which worked however the handheld steamer is my preferred method now. Test a hidden strand and see if it works :)

If you have a beauty supply store nearby I’d imagine they’ve got mini straighteners hopefully small enough in size for dolls

Edited by DivinitaAria

Rise - Rise // Rise #2 - Rise // Ritsuko - 2B // Momo - M.O.M.O. // Nayuki -Mikuru // Romi - 09 // Makoto - Sailor Jupiter // Mikasa - DD07 (WIP)
Waiting on: DDH-25 for custom Akechi 🥰

Zai

I’ve only done it once on a ForMyDoll wig and it worked out great, thankfully! I used the same straightener that I use for my hair, a GHD one which is quite compact. I set the heat to minimum then turn it off to cool down a little more just in case. Worked like a charm! I wouldn’t spend on one like that just for doll wigs though, just maybe if you already have one for your own use so a mini one as suggested above sounds perfect as long as you know how much heat it’s putting out. 

Vinyl friends: Stoli (DD Y’shtola), Raili, Yuzuha and Minami-senpai (Azone PureNeemo).
Future friends: DD Alisaie, TinyFox Huifre, DD Luka (hopefully a reboot?), and a DD Icon (wishful thinking, lol).

🩶 Instagram 🩶

Bad_Luck

I've done the boiling water method to straighten a cosplay wig and it worked like a charm. It' super easy and you don't have to buy anything extra. Just bring a pot of water to a near-boil, then set your wig up on a wig stand--for a doll wig, I think a lot of people just stuff the wig with paper or something like that--and pour the water over the wig. Run a comb through it and let it dry.

But, like others have said, the wig has to be heat-resistant for any of these methods. If unsure, it's definitely best to do a test run on a lock of hair that can be hidden or cut if things go poorly.