Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Riesz
Posted (edited)

I thought it would be a good idea to create a topic for consolidating info and discussion on the huge influx of blind box dolls! It seems like they are mostly 1/12 scale to 1/6 scale from what I've seen, and tend to be proportioned similar to Nendoroid dolls, with large bobble heads, plastic molded hair, and toddler-esque bodies, although some with longer legs have been popping up lately. Some include various hands, feet, and magnetic parts like animal ears. The plastic wigs can be removed and the eyes can be removed. Some are strung BJDs while others are hinge joints, or more Nendoroid style bodies.

The prices I've seen on Taobao tend to be around ¥75-85 yuan or $10-12 USD for the 1/12 scale dolls, so they are very inexpensive. I've also noticed them popping up from resellers on Amazon, Aliexpress, and other shops, but they tend to be 2-4x more expensive (with the caveat of not having to import them from Taobao, of course!). Some of the resellers offer the option to buy a specific doll at an inflated price, in case the gamble of a blind box isn't appealing. As of now, it seems like there are no bootlegs of these dolls, but I don't know if that will be a problem in the future. They are so inexpensive that I'd be surprised to see bootlegs, but who knows.

The bigger brands I've noticed are Penny's Box, UFdoll, Maytree, Bonnie, Simontoys, Nagi, etc but there are loads of these so I'm sure I'm missing many brands. There are other blind box "dolls" under a similar umbrella (sometimes made by the same companies listed) but they are more like action figures or anime figures and tend to be fully plastic with no removable clothing, eyes, etc. so I did not include those in the scope of this post.

Here are a few of the official shop links I've found on Taobao.

UFdoll: https://shop563919345.taobao.com/

Penny's Box: https://shop598189963.taobao.com/

MAYTREE by IcyDBS: https://shop71335014.taobao.com/search.htm?q=maytree&spm=pc_detail.29232929%2Fevo401271b517998.top_search.search_shop

Bonnie by COME4FREE/COME4ARTS: https://come4arts.tmall.com/?q=bonnie&type=p&search=y&newHeader_b=s_from&searcy_type=item&from=.shop.pc_2_searchbutton&spm=a1z10.1-b.a2227oh.d101

Simontoys: https://simontoys.tmall.com/

Edited by Riesz
  • Like 1

Riesz
Posted (edited)

IMG_20240710_153541__01.jpg.ac27f37c01dfee30acb8eb8af2ac91c6.jpg

Curiosity got the better of me with these so I ordered a variety of them from Taobao to check them out. Here are a few of the ones I've gotten! I also have a couple of the UFdoll tea series rabbits but I have them put away at the moment.

From left to right: MAYTREE Zodiac Series - Virgo, SIMONTOYS Liroro Summer Island - Rose, NAGI Beast Exchange Student 2nd Edition - Doudoushu Mouse, NAGI Beast Exchange Student 2nd Edition - Lanlan Wolf.

The UFdoll tea series (not pictured) and SIMONTOYS Liroro are strung bjds with plastic bodies and the MAYTREE and NAGI dolls are more like Nendoroids with hinge joints and little balljoints with pegs for the hands. UFdoll, SIMONTOYS, and NAGI included extra hands with different poses, but MAYTREE did not. They all included the naked base doll, outfit, shoes, and accessories. UFdoll didn't have the eyes installed so I had to take the head apart and put in those itty bitty eyes with some putty, but the rest came with eyes and hair already on the doll. They all did not include stands but they sorta stand on their own, depending on how top-heavy the head and plastic hair are for that particular doll.

These little 1/12 scale dolls make great desk/bag buddies! They seem to fit OB11 size clothing as well, so it's fairly easy to find new outfits and shoes for them. The next order I want to make is for a Penny's Box doll since they are often fantasy styled as centaurs, mermaids, etc.

Edited by Riesz
  • Like 1

MoiBakaDesu

Oh, having an overarching thread for these kinds of dolls is not a bad idea at all!

Because that reminds me, I have been trying to find the ones from the Kukaka Insect Cafe line on taobao, but had no luck finding them so far. Maybe someone here can help?

132540427_61GI0-qZqL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.jpg.9b26f8501521252124ab1ee9918b1e5e.jpg

PlasticJester
2 hours ago, MoiBakaDesu said:

Oh, having an overarching thread for these kinds of dolls is not a bad idea at all!

Because that reminds me, I have been trying to find the ones from the Kukaka Insect Cafe line on taobao, but had no luck finding them so far. Maybe someone here can help?

Not Taobao, But I've seen them pop up decently often on Mercari, if that helps?
I don't have any blind box dolls because the price for the ones I like tends to still be a bit of a stretch, but god, those UFDoll TV heads are really tempting me...and Kikagoods has been giving updates on a horror-themed 'Weird Nightmare' blindbox line I'll likely have to dive into when its finished. Let me grab an insta post about it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9FQcHpP69u/?img_index=4

592108676_DollGroupPixel.png.059a2d02f02ccb8975d8c8461ef7b1cc.png

Tam_I_am

They're cute little dolls, and I jad one of the fruit themed ones.  She was weighty and seemed well made, but her lack of underpants, my lack of doll space, and my ambivalence about BJD caused me to give her away.

meltychoco_BJD

Does anyone know if there's anyone (on instagram or whenever really) that's holding splits for the UFdoll blind boxes ?

I really like one specific doll in the do-re-mi series from UFdoll because she looks like my OC but spending over $100 to get the whole set is a bit much for me since I don't want the other ones.

Or do y'all think I'd be able to sell the extras on mercari maybe? I did check JP mercari to see if anyone is selling the one I want, even if it's just the head/hair, but all the listings containing it are already sold.

☆⋅⋆ ───FIND ME ON─── ⋆⋅☆

DoA | Twitter | Instagram

☆⋅⋆ ────── ⋆⋅☆

PlasticJester

Update on my part: I cracked and went for a UFDoll TV head. It'll be my first blindbox doll, so I'll have a little unboxing here when it arrives!

• Like 3

Ayrell

I love these tiny dolls. I have two, an Antu Nature Wonderland and Nagi Exchange Student. I have both for sale since I want to focus on my other dolls, but they sure are adorable and well worth the price. Here are some pics:

GAUyBkM.jpg

yCgZ2YM.jpg

0b6ENkb.jpg

vOTCuRl.jpg

bgfttZe.jpg

On 8/5/2024 at 5:31 PM, PlasticJester said:

Update on my part: I cracked and went for a UFDoll TV head. It'll be my first blindbox doll, so I'll have a little unboxing here when it arrives!

Oooh, congratulations! Looking forward to the pictures. Those are so unique!

• Like 2

Riesz

I just got a Taobao box in, which included a few new tiny dolls! I got some blind boxes so I had no idea what I'd be in for.

First up is Penny's Box x Antu mermaid! I got the red and mint green one and she is very cute. I love the clear, articulated tail and her little narwhal horn! She has sea stars in her hair and her pink dress reminds me a bit of a jellyfish.

IMG_20240814_132655__01__01.jpg.22695e94f81c7d41248bab483e3a27b2.jpg

Next up is Penny's Box x Antu Silk Road centaur. I pulled the lovely burgundy one and she's so gorgeous. I love her golden antlers, the chain on her skirt, and all her little jewellery accessories. The centaur body is really cool too, she's the first centaur doll I've had.

IMG_20240814_132724__01.jpg.6b797e70a1ead4b317dea4574faeebf2.jpg IMG_20240814_132747__01.jpg.980f71ad7cb7009085b82f8b56f33c27.jpg

I also ordered a dress set from Simon Toys to fit my cute kitty girl. I'm really impressed with the quality and detail on everything, especially for a dress this tiny! The price was very reasonable too, so overall I'm super happy with it.

IMG_20240814_132835__01.jpg.a9cbe3562c79a7e3bb7b6567486a012a.jpg

• Like 2

Riesz
On 7/11/2024 at 4:17 AM, MoiBakaDesu said:

I did an image search on taobao and they popped up

Screenshot_20240814-134241.jpg.fbf47e1acc3e926c8c6534269218b99f.jpg

PlasticJester

Wow, I always assumed Antu deer would be tiny, but that seems surprisingly big! My spatial awareness is poor, are most blind box dolls about that size? I thought they were all teeny obitsu 11 sized dudes!

mmmuguet
Posted (edited)

It kinda depends!  There's a lot of 1/6 blindboxes now along with 1/12.  The Antu deer is definitely on the taller end compared to the centaurs, but the mermaids are also fairly tall when accounting for their tails.  I like how Kikagoods usually has a rough scale compared to a smartphone on the doll pages.  I don't have any of my Bonnie's or Nagi's out right now, but here's a Penny's mermaid and centaur along with a Kukaka compared to a standard US can drink (and a tinyfox haha).

dEf2X7p.jpg

Edited by mmmuguet

spacer.png

୨୧ Iskander tinyfox little anna • Bishop tinyfox lilith • Lariat tinyfox 06S • Crocus tinyfox asmoti • Cedar tinyfox nomi • Copernicus tinyfox murphy • Hyacinthe tinyfox c-16 • Salem tinyfox little ashley Arlo tinyfox raya • Clary tinyfox li chun • Wren tinyfox lizzy • Drosera tinyfox fluffy • Narcisse tinyfox d-01Robin mdd ddh-01 • Otto mdd ddh-01 • Yuliy mdd ddh-01 • Chino obitsu 50-04 • Eden obitsu 50-04 • Vivian azone fururu tan ୨୧

PlasticJester

Ow wow, they're actually quite big, the Kukaka especially! How cute!

sgodpal

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the insect cafe girls when I got mine ^.^ They're just a tad bigger than my bonnie + liroro dolls, but I like their chunkiness a lot (•: when I was eyeing the deer girls I was surprised by how much taller they turned out to be, especially compared to the centaurs but they're really pretty ^^

Roserolls

Oh I am so obsessed with blind box dolls. I have a ton of them and I'm looking forward to several new ones as well. I have a Xiang Xiang Chinese Traditional Festival blind box bjd pre-ordered which I'm super excited about since they're YoSD sized! Here's my collection so far. Most of these I bought pre-opened so I could get the ones that I wanted since there's only been a few series where I like every doll and can't choose. It kinda takes some of the fun out of it, but it also removes the disappointment as well. There are a TON of awesome looking blind box bjds coming out soon from Kikagoods' Instagrams and I can't wait! I really want the nun or vampire girl from the Weird Nightmare series and the jirai kei or goth lolita from Bonbon Galaxy's cute girl series!

20240814_144618.jpg.53c1027f9b1e2312472132d66fb80422.jpg

• Like 4

Tam_I_am

Could anyone show a comparison between the centaurs and the deer?

MoiBakaDesu
On 8/14/2024 at 8:43 PM, Riesz said:

I did an image search on taobao and they popped up

Screenshot_20240814-134241.jpg.fbf47e1acc3e926c8c6534269218b99f.jpg

Oh nice, these prices look good as well!

Would you mind sending the links for one or two of these listings there? Searching on taobao directly is a bit hit and miss for me when it comes to functionality.

Riesz
On 8/19/2024 at 1:13 AM, MoiBakaDesu said:

Oh nice, these prices look good as well!

Would you mind sending the links for one or two of these listings there? Searching on taobao directly is a bit hit and miss for me when it comes to functionality.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=709148521742

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=742306304144

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=812751149467

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=755445573003

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=774861442599

• Thanks 1

karvoo
Posted (edited)

Im adoring the UF DOLL DoReMi Band Series && am tempted to buy them. Question for anyone who may know: do they have a plain head back for them? Or are the hair the headbacks? Wondering if i wanted to repaint them if i could make them wigs. I'm also confused because some say if you buy a full pack you get a nude fave plate && body as a gift, but no mention of headback...  

spacer.png

Edited by karvoo

Akai Okami

If they are like the bigger Tea series girls, then yes, the hair is the headback sadly. 

Dipping in here because I have 4 UFdoll Tea girls and I'm obsessed with them. @onion24@

spacer.png

spacer.png

Need to get a group shot of them still. xD 

• Like 1

obitsu_sig.jpg.b3c45109fdd3585a9f55346abae64554.jpg

RozenGermain

I have quite a few blind box dolls myself! Got a full box of the Nagi kemonos and a few others I've also collected (Simontoys apple girl, Penny's Box Green Dragon boy, and the Scarab girl). Maytree is also one I saw as adorable and sweet, sadly they have a bit of a seedy reputation due to using a BJD bootlegger as a manu. However, I heard that they no longer use them as a manu, and from what I can tell their sculpts look to be originals. That's probably why you have to get them directly from Taobao. It's a shame because they really are that cute.

RozenGermain
On 7/11/2024 at 5:17 AM, MoiBakaDesu said:

I was able to get my Akim from Kikagoods (which sells blind boxes from Taobao), but they're only selling pre-opened ones right now. They are easy to find on Taobao though as people have shown, but I do mention the site because they are a pretty good way of getting blind box dolls, as well as being a Tinyfox dealer, something I made note of before as I got Lyney there.

karvoo
6 hours ago, Akai Okami said:

If they are like the bigger Tea series girls, then yes, the hair is the headback sadly. 

Dipping in here because I have 4 UFdoll Tea girls and I'm obsessed with them. @onion24@

spacer.png

spacer.png

Need to get a group shot of them still. xD 

these are so cute. Also thanks for the info, if they are likely the wig headbacks then hm, maybe i can custom make one or something. Wish I had a 3d printer lol

CreationOdyssey
On 7/10/2024 at 4:42 PM, Riesz said:

I thought it would be a good idea to create a topic for consolidating info and discussion on the huge influx of blind box dolls! It seems like they are mostly 1/12 scale to 1/6 scale from what I've seen, and tend to be proportioned similar to Nendoroid dolls, with large bobble heads, plastic molded hair, and toddler-esque bodies, although some with longer legs have been popping up lately. Some include various hands, feet, and magnetic parts like animal ears. The plastic wigs can be removed and the eyes can be removed. Some are strung BJDs while others are hinge joints, or more Nendoroid style bodies.

The prices I've seen on Taobao tend to be around ¥75-85 yuan or $10-12 USD for the 1/12 scale dolls, so they are very inexpensive. I've also noticed them popping up from resellers on Amazon, Aliexpress, and other shops, but they tend to be 2-4x more expensive (with the caveat of not having to import them from Taobao, of course!). Some of the resellers offer the option to buy a specific doll at an inflated price, in case the gamble of a blind box isn't appealing. As of now, it seems like there are no bootlegs of these dolls, but I don't know if that will be a problem in the future. They are so inexpensive that I'd be surprised to see bootlegs, but who knows.

The bigger brands I've noticed are Penny's Box, UFdoll, Maytree, Bonnie, Simontoys, Nagi, etc but there are loads of these so I'm sure I'm missing many brands. There are other blind box "dolls" under a similar umbrella (sometimes made by the same companies listed) but they are more like action figures or anime figures and tend to be fully plastic with no removable clothing, eyes, etc. so I did not include those in the scope of this post.

Here are a few of the official shop links I've found on Taobao.

UFdoll: https://shop563919345.taobao.com/

Penny's Box: https://shop598189963.taobao.com/

MAYTREE by IcyDBS: https://shop71335014.taobao.com/search.htm?q=maytree&spm=pc_detail.29232929%2Fevo401271b517998.top_search.search_shop

Bonnie by COME4FREE/COME4ARTS: https://come4arts.tmall.com/?q=bonnie&type=p&search=y&newHeader_b=s_from&searcy_type=item&from=.shop.pc_2_searchbutton&spm=a1z10.1-b.a2227oh.d101

Simontoys: https://simontoys.tmall.com/

I know this post is older but just want to point out you might want to relive Maytree as they are part of a recast company and still actively sell recast.